Billing Resellers Per Domain
In WHMCS version 7.9 and above, it is possible to vary the amount shared hosting resellers are billed based upon the number of cPanel user accounts they use. For example, you could charge an additional $1.00 for each cPanel user account that a reseller has.
This guide demonstrates how to configure a product in such a way.
We recommend using this Snapshot Metric Type on products with a monthly billing cycle.
1. Navigate to Configuration > System Settings > Products/Services (Setup > Products/Services > Products/Services in WHMCS 7.10 and earlier).
2. On this screen, choose Create a New Product from the options area, or Edit an existing product.
If creating a new product, specify Reseller Hosting as the product type, and the group and product name.
3. Click the Module Settings tab.
4. Choose the module to use with this product. In this example, we will use cPanel.
5. Select the WHM package name to use with this product.
cPanel will prevent resellers from exceeding the maximum number of accounts setting. We suggest configuring the package limits higher, so that you consume all resources.
6. If the module supports Usage Billing, a Metric Billing section will appear:
7. Toggle On the metric to bill. In this example, that's Sub-Accounts:
The Sub-Accounts metric within WHMCS is the number of cPanel user accounts that a reseller owns. It does not impact whether cPanel users can create cPanel Subaccounts, which are a separate feature.
8. Next, click the Configure Pricing link to set the pricing for the sub-accounts the reseller consumes.
9. The Configure Pricing modal will appear. Use this screen to configure the price to charge the client for the sub-accounts they consume (the number of cPanel user accounts the reseller creates).
There is a lot of flexibility in the configured pricing. Below are two common examples:
1. The reseller will be charged $1.00 for every sub-account that exists on the service renewal date each month.
When the Per Unit scheme is selected, there is only one unit price ($1.00 per sub-account):
2. The reseller wil be charged $1.00 for every sub-account they create up to 50. Then, they will be charged $0.50 for every sub-account they consume above that (a bulk discount).
The Total Volume scheme is selected. This displays the Add Range button to create an additional range to specify the price for 50 sub-accounts and above:
3. The reseller will be charged $1.00 for every sub-account they consume over 10. This is because of the Quantity Included value.
The Per Unit scheme is selected as there is only one unit price (always $1.00 per sub-account):
10. When you are satisfied with the pricing configuration, click the Save button. The modal will close and the rest of the product configuration can be completed.
12. When product configuration is finished, click Save Changes.
- When a client orders this product, WHMCS will track the number of sub-accounts that the reseller creates.
- On the service's Next Due Date, a snapshot of the current number of created sub-accounts is recorded.
- The cost is calculated based upon the current pricing schema.
- The cost will appear on the service's next renewal invoice as an individual line item.
WHMCS takes the usage snapshot on the service's Next Due Date. Because of this, we suggest offering the product only on the monthly billing cycle, so that you bill usage frequently.
Usage Billing is a powerful feature. For more information on the terms and possible configurations, see Usage Billing.