Billing Clients for their Usage
In WHMCS version 7.9 and above clients can be billed retrospectively for the resources they consume, for example disk space, bandwidth, number of domains or email addresses. This feature is called Usage Billing.
This guide demonstrates how to bill clients for the amount of bandwidth they use each month.
1. Navigate to Configuration > System Settings > Products/Services (Setup > Products/Services > Products/Services in WHMCS 7.10 and earlier).
2. On this screen, choose Create a New Product from the options area, or Edit an existing product.
If creating a new product, specify the product type, group and product name in the usual way.
3. Click the Module Settings tab.
4. Choose the module that will be used with this product. In this example we will use cPanel.
5. Select the WHM Package Name to be used with this product.
cPanel will typically prevent access to a website if the bandwidth limit on the assigned package is reached. We suggest configuring the package limits in WHM higher, so resources can be consumed.
6. If the module supports Usage Billing, a Metric Billing section will appear:
7. Toggle On the metric to bill for (for example, Bandwidth):
8. Click Configure Pricing to set the pricing for the Bandwidth the client consumes.
9. The Configure Pricing box will appear. Use this screen to configure the price that the client should be charged for the bandwidth they consume.
There is a lot of flexibility in the pricing that can be configured. Below are three common examples:
i. The client will be charged $1.00 for every GB of bandwidth consumed each month.
Per Unit is selected as there is only one unit price; always $1.00 per GB:
ii. The client wil be charged $1.00 for every GB of bandwidth they consume up to 10GB. Then $0.50 for every GB they consume above that. IE. A bulk discount.
The Total Volume Scheme is selected. This displays the Add Range button to create an additional range to specify the price for 10GB and above:
iii. The client will be charged $1.00 for every GB of bandwidth they consume over 10 GB. This is because of the Quantity Included value.
The Per Unit Scheme is selected as there is only one unit price; always $1.00 per GB:
10. When satisfied with the pricing configuration, click the Save button
11. The modal will now close and the rest of the product configuration can be completed.
12. When product configuration is finished, click Save Changes.
- When a client orders this product, WHMCS will track the bandwidth usage of the client
- At the end of each calendar month the total volume of bandwidth consumed is recorded
- The cost is then calculated based upon the current pricing schema
- The cost will be added to the service's next renewal invoice as an individual line item.
- The service's next renewal invoice will be generated in accordance with the Next Due Date.
Usage Billing is a powerful feature. More information on the terms used and possible configurations are explained in the Usage Billing Documentation.