Addons vs Configurable Options
WHMCS has two distinct was of configuring additional items for a main package. The first method is via a Product Addon, the second is a Configurable Option. While both are similar, there are may key differences explained below.
Product Addons let you offer additional items over which the client has a YES or NO choice. They are billed seperately from the product. Product Addons are best suited for the any one or more of following situations:
- The Addon is a one-time service
- The Addon can be selected independently of other items
- The Addon is an optional item
- The Addon should be billed on it's own cycle (eg. a dedicated IP might be billed annually regardless of the package cycle)
Configurable Options on products allow you to give your clients variables which alter the price of that product. Their cost is included in the product price and so invoices along with it. Some examples of these options include:
- Disk Quota
- Bandwidth Quota
- Addon/Parked Domain Quota
- Operating System
Which One is For Me?
When should I use configurable options instead of addons?
- If you want to offer a choice of options for a single thing - for example Disk Space, Operating System, Locations, etc...
- If you want the total amount to be billed as a single item and not separately
- When you want the billing cycle of the addon to match the billing cycle of the product
When should I use addons instead of configurable options?
- If the item is a one off service
- If it can be selected independently of other items
- If it should be billed on it's own cycle - eg. a dedicated IP might be billed annually regardless of the package cycle